Re: [CQ-Contest] Constant Calling

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Constant Calling
From: "Mike Smith VE9AA" <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2018 13:08:56 -0400
Pete,

I wish I had an answer.  On 160m last night there was a semi-rare DX station
coming back to LU8DPM multiple multiple times and there was a persistent
stateside east coast station transmitting his call over and over.  Not 1
letter or number in this guys call lined up with LU8DPM. Not one.

Similarly, when VY2ZM called. Same guy calls over and over. (Thankfully,
Jeff's signal is huge, the East Coaster was little more than a minor
annoyance to him and he and easily made the Q)

Still, it was upsetting to listen to.

I gave up right after that, reminding myself why I am no longer a  DXer.
Too frustrating.  Better things to do than raise my blood pressure even
more.

I posted his call on the cluster with "listen listen" in the comments and
then of course, get an email from the guy, probably 'irked' that I outted
him on the cluster.

Umm, no my friend, you did that yourself on 160m to anyone within the
listening radius of your transmitted signal.

I mean no ill will, but really?  Not one single element of your call is the
same as what the DX is calling?

Full disclosure, at times if the DX *had* come back to, say, VE3AA or VE9TT,
or VE?A, I would likely dump my call in, even if I wasn't sure if it was me
he was calling, but if he came back to LU8DPM or VY2ZM, time for me to shut
up !

Good topic.

I don't know's ya'll get a satisfactory answer.

-Mike VE9AA

Can someone explain the logic behind constant calling when the station

you're calling clearly isn't calling you or anything like your call?

Pete, W1RM

W1RM@Comcast.net

Mike, Coreen & Corey

Keswick Ridge, NB