Re: [CQ-Contest] CQWW SSB 2017 Effective DQ

To: CQ-Contest Reflector <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CQWW SSB 2017 Effective DQ
From: MARK BAILEY <kd4d@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2018 09:59:15 -0500 (EST)
Hi everyone:

Would it work to have the contest sponsors provide notice to entrants that they
must provide recordings BEFORE the contest begins?  This doesn't address
checking an irregularity in the first year that it occurs but would allow
follow-on in future years.  This could be done with other requirements (e.g.
observers, etc.) the sponsors want to impose.

Pre-registration and mandatory recordings seem like major impediments to the
casual operators that we rely on.  I don't think having two classes of
competitors is a good path forward - tomorrow's serious competitors come from
today's "little pistols".  IMHO, it also important to instill awareness of
contesting ethics in today's "little pistols".

I support the contest sponsors' efforts to identify and disqualify cheaters but
we need to balance requirements on participants against the value they provide
for detecting and deterring cheating.

73,

Mark, KD4D