Re: [CQ-Contest] ARRL November SS is OK for the small station

To: <steve.root@culligan4water.com>, <rjairam@gmail.com>, <sawyered@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] ARRL November SS is OK for the small station
From: <giwagner@k5kg.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2018 13:22:53 -0400
I agree with Steve that rag chewing on CW is a great way to build skills.
Not only will it build receiving skills, but keying or paddling skills as
well.   Sending is sometimes more difficult, as it requires a manual
dexterity that receiving doesn't.  Rag chewing will also force you to think
ahead about what you are going to say.  In other words, to effectively rag
chew, you need to keep thinking about how to keep the conversation going.
Sometimes, I find this is the most difficult part rag chewing.  Once you
have exchanged name, QTH, rig, antennas, wx, etc., just where do you go from
there can be a challenge.  You need to find that common thread of interest
with the other party, and once you have done that, advancing the
conversation becomes easier.

Just some thots!

73, George, K5KG

George I. Wagner