Re: [CQ-Contest] Contest dashboards

To: Joe <nss@mwt.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Contest dashboards
From: Matt NQ6N <matt@nq6n.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2018 12:32:14 -0500
I'd be curious about this too. I think I was the one (or one of several)
who mentioned the kind of dashboard Ken describes.

I've been part of a few very exciting close finishes in the weekly CWT and
have really enjoyed the real time scoreboards. I have found that when I
watch my position compared to the stations I am most competitive with, the
"lead" bounces around between each of us during the contest and then
usually one or two will pull away and end up with the highest score in the
cohort.  Once or twice it's been me, but when it's not I always wonder what
decisions the other ops made that resulted in their success. Was it better
propagation? Or did they observe something that led to a smarter approach?

The dashboard I've been dreaming up (worked on a bit over the December
holiday) allows for "instant replay" by allowing you to rewind it back to
any moment of the contest to watch the competitive dynamic between selected
stations.  Who is louder into W6? Who moved to 80m sooner? Who got spotted
more or had the fastest 10min rate?

I don't think the goal is necessarily comparing one's own score the top
scoring stations. There are some incredible stations and ops and I do not
necessarily need a dashboard to know that the station who worked 60 Qs in
the CWT on 40m compared to my 9 did so partially because of a 40m stack
compared to my vertical with three radials.  But it's interesting to
compare my score to stations who typically end up close to my own score,
where the stations are more likely similar and the advantage may come down
to deliberate strategy or to impromptu decisions that made the most of the
available propagation.

The challenge I've had in designing such a dashboard is to figure out a
visualization for the key strategic elements that is easy to perceive in a
real-time side by side so that I can have a window showing the dashboard
for the 3 or 4 stations whose strategy I wish to focus on during or after
the contest.  Some of the dimensions are most useful as a rate of change,
while others are most useful as a min/max over a time window, etc. There is
also (potentially) limited granularity for the score reporting since some
ops have their logger set up to send updates only ever 5 mins.

73,
Matt NQ6N