Re: [CQ-Contest] 4O3A Station rebuild

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] 4O3A Station rebuild
From: "Ed Sawyer" <sawyered@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2018 16:13:00 -0400
Ranko.  I am surprised that phased towers with tribanders would be the
desired position if 40 and 20 are the focus.  The mono optimization for 20M
is rarely best done with tribanders. It's a great system when a single tower
is used for all bands although many times I have seen people add an extra
monobander or 2 on 15 or 10M because of the stacking compromise.

Also, the beam width becomes much narrower with horizontal stacking
(phasing).  Is that really the goal for contesting?

I would think that an optimized array on 20M would be one tower.  An
optimized array on 40M would be the other tower,  And a few monobanders for
15 and 10M would be the fill in for the low sunspot years.  Possibly in
different directions than the optimized arrays on 20 and 40 to best utilize
the band mix.

73

Ed  N1UR