Re: [CQ-Contest] WRTC Qualifying

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] WRTC Qualifying
From: Mark <pa5mw@home.nl>
Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2018 09:46:49 +0200
Of course not.

That would be like calling the Haas F1 team, demanding an F1 car seat for next season, based only on your skills to do Mario Kart on that old 486-laptop.

Climbing Mount Everest with a top-team during the week is not about the question "can I qualify?". That preparation will cost you months, requiring already years of experience and excellent  body muscles&stamina. And having climbed xx summits through the year to maintain your top-level and thus 'qualify'.

Forgive me the ridicule, but  qualifying for The Hamradio Olympics requires a lot of your personal efforts, dedication, resources, loads of (contest) experience and such. And luckily these merits do not come from  just 'big money and no brains' or any of the virtual&instant gratification methodologies we see nowadays.

To qualify you need to be very good. And that requires learning by doing.
A lot.
There is no cheap-skate entry.
Be glad for that.

If you want to join them, first check why you want that.
Those who already know are participating at other stations regularly.
They travel the whole year around the world to taking an opportunity to learn at someones station where you can learn some more.
They make plans for a better station and a good QTH
Yes, that requires setting priorities.
And no, not everyone has the minimal required financial resources nor the mental ability to be top-notch. For now I do not qualify, not by a mile. But I learn by doing. I read. I experiment. I enjoy by participating, often at a friends station. That will not qualify me, but nothing beats the enjoyment of contesting in a group (and a perfect BBQ).

Then there is so many levels below WRTC you can enjoy every year, from field day setups  to visiting MM stations. Do not let anything stop you from enjoying contesting, whatever setup/location you are.
The fun is about participating.

73 Mark PA5MW