[CQ-Contest] WRTC Qualifying

To: CQ-Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] WRTC Qualifying
From: Gerry Hull <gerry@yccc.org>
Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2018 07:09:16 -0400
I agree we need to make WRTC more accessible.  How to do that is difficult.

Regional differences in the number of radio amateurs, propagation
conditions,  economics and station accessibility make it difficult for many
who are actually world class competitors.

Why not have some national body (be it a group of esteemed contesters, a
national organization, or some other important group) determine what the
criteria is to qualify for WRTC?  It would always include the big four DX
contests, but could include more regional contests than what are currently
included (I think we have enough contests?).  This could also bolster
participation in smaller regional competitions.   This is kind of how the
real olympics is done.   The national body would be responsible for
ensuring they send qualified candidates.

In this way, those people who we know to be very good, but do not score
high enough in large international events, would have more of a shot.   The
challenge is countries with a small number of Contesters — who determines
and who goes?

WRTC is fantastic — every rendition has been an improvement.  Let’s think
about how it can be more inclusive as we look to future years.

73,

Gerry W1VE
WRTC 2018 Referee