Re: [CQ-Contest] Rules for WRTC...oops

To: Bill Kollenbaum K4XS <cqtestk4xs@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Rules for WRTC...oops
From: Chris Plumblee <chris.plumblee@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2019 09:32:20 -0500
It's ambiguous to me whether single-band scores will be counted with
all-band scores (so single-band scores will be compared with all-band
scores) or whether single-band scores will be their own category.

I agree with Bill that, if single-band scores are counted on their own (so
single-band 40m will be compared with single-band 40m, but not with
SOABHP), then an unscrupulous operator could game the system.

Hopefully the organizers are aware of the potential shortcoming. I think
that, in the past, single-band scores were counted against all-band scores,
so a really spectacular single-band score on one of the money bands (like
20m and 40m) could compare favorably with a mediocre all-band score, but a
single-band 160m score would not be in the same universe as even a
part-time all-band score.

73,
Chris W4WF

On Tue, Jan 1, 2019 at 8:03 AM Bill kollenbaum via CQ-Contest <
cq-contest@contesting.com> wrote:

> A couple of things popped out at me.
> If I read the rules correctly:
> Single band entries count the same as all band entries...big problem.
> Station VP5XYZ operates with a smallt station on a band from which there
> are usually not any single band efforts...160 or 10.  He operates for a
> couple of hours and winds up with 30 or 40 Qs.  VP5ABC does AB and makes
> 7000 Qs but finishes nr 2 for his area.  VP5XYZ gets more WRTC credit than
> the guy who busted butt for 40+ hours at VP5ABC.  This could happen in many
> of the qualifying areas.
> In qualifying zones which are sparsely populated, what happens if no one
> gets 25% of the top operator's score...no one goes from that district?
>
> Bill KH7XS/K4XS

Chris Plumblee
407.494.5155