Re: [CQ-Contest] possible changes for CQ VHF Contest

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] possible changes for CQ VHF Contest
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2019 14:05:43 -0700

I can fully understand the concern about CW and SSB being marginalized at the expense of FT8 or FT4, but I totally fail to understand your ire toward FT8/4 versus RTTY.  It makes no sense to me at all.  From an operational point of view in either contests or for working DXpeditions, the mechanics seem almost identical to me:

A.  You don't need to hear the audio for either mode.  The software does all the decoding.

B.  The exchange for both modes consists simply of a callsign and a report.  There isn't anything more personal about RTTY than FT8/4 since both exchanges for both modes are equally succinct and both offer the opportunity to include a brief customized greeting (13 characters worth for FT8).

C.  In practice, I'd bet most RTTY ops click on a button or a bandmap, or a waterfall or a stack of calls in N1MM+, to jump to the next contact.  Just like ops do in FT8/4.

D.  Transmissions in FT8/4 aren't totally automated if you're trying to multitask QSOs, and transmissions in RTTY are pretty much a rote sequence of pushing F-keys.  I fail to see a significant distinction here.

So please clue me in ... what makes RTTY so much more "real radio" than FT8 or FT4 for contesting and working DXpeditions?  Last I checked this wasn't the ragchew reflector.

Dave   AB7E