Re: [CQ-Contest] possible changes for CQ VHF Contest

To: "rjairam@gmail.com" <rjairam@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] possible changes for CQ VHF Contest
From: Jeff Stai <wk6i.jeff@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2019 13:33:26 -0700
I get what you are saying and I get that VHF+ is different.

But we somehow manage to have 3 mode specific NAQP contests twice a year.

And yes, I think having some mode specific VHF+ contests would be great. I
think we are losing some of the fun with the move to FT8, while of course
gaining other fun. But why lose any fun? Why not create a situation where
each mode gets their focus?

That sounds like the most fun to me. Cheers - jeff wk6i

On Wed, Jul 24, 2019 at 10:28 AM rjairam@gmail.com <rjairam@gmail.com>
wrote:

> [...]
>> separate most contests into different modes.
>>
>> I think the FT modes do require different skills than the other modes to
>> win a contest. This is one reason why I would advocate keeping FT modes in
>> separate contests (and out of RTTY contests too, just by the way).
>>
>> The good news is MORE CONTESTS and MORE FUN! :)
>>
>> 73 jeff wk6i
>>
>> On Tue, Jul 23, 2019 at 6:34 PM rjairam@gmail.com <rjairam@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I think it would be worthwhile to compare participation pre and post FT8.
>>>
>>> I suspect a lot of those who are using the FT8 mode are not really the
>>> ones who were using CW and SSB before.
>>>
>>> From what I head these modes actually increased participation and many
>>> who use these modes wouldn't otherwise be able to participate.
>>>
>>> The only constant is change and there are things that come along that
>>> knock us down a peg or two. For me on HF it's commercial remote
>>> operation. I can't see how someone who builds their own station can
>>> compete against someone who rents airtime on a pre built mega station
>>> in Maine. But that's the reality now. On VHF the game has shifted
>>> heavily toward weak signal digital modes.
>>>
>>> The game has changed. So I play differently now. Different categories,
>>> different goals and different expectations.  I tried (team) roving
>>> last year for ARRL VHF and I liked it. However, time for a rove is at
>>> a premium, and my roaming partner (K2EZ) has work schedules that may
>>> place her in Texas or somewhere else so it's a hit or miss.
>>>
>>> I suspect resistance will be futile. Putting the digital modes in its
>>> own contests basically says that we don't want these new modes and we
>>> prefer to compete the same old way against the same old (and getting
>>> older) guys. You also only have so many weekends per year.
>>>
>>> Let's go back to a basic question:
>>>
>>> What are you measuring with contesting? Skill? Station? There are a
>>> lot of variables. And it's not as easy as sitting and punching buttons
>>> on FT8/FT4. To begin with the rate is lower. You also have to consider
>>> that sometimes a station will abandon you to move on to someone else.
>>> And it takes 15-60 seconds to realize that. On CW and SSB you can tell
>>> right away if someone faded away or simply dropped the QSO.
>>>
>>> Not offering a solution one way or the other here. I realize that this
>>> issue has passions on both sides. I'm firmly on the "let's change it
>>> up and try new things" camp. However, I draw the line at full
>>> automation which I think is reasonable.
>>>
>>> 70% of ham traffic is now FT8. That's the reality. However, fully
>>> automatic operation will not be (and should not be) allowed for credit
>>> contesting and DXing. Honor system and obvious automation is easy to
>>> spot.
>>>
>>> But I may be willing to try removing the FT/JT modes from these VHF
>>> contests as an experiment. I suspect participation will drop off as
>>> the digital stations will just stay on digital and work the band

>>> Ria