Re: [CQ-Contest] Room Reservations for Dayton 2020 at the CrownePlaza ho

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Room Reservations for Dayton 2020 at the CrownePlaza hotel in downtown Dayton
From: Steve Bookout <steve@nr4m.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2019 17:13:28 -0400
Hello all,

This whole 'Dayton thing' has been on my mind for several months.

I've come to the decision that this past Dayton was my last.

As some of you may know, my Corvette was broken into while sitting on Crown Plaza property in the valet parking area. Nothing was taken, but sure messed up my 'Dayton experience'. Spent the whole day Friday dealing with getting the window replaced.

But, that's not all.

After we first arrived on Wednesday, five of us went to a South American restaurant just past Thai 9 and had a really fine dinner.  On the way back, we were approached by an apparently drug addled person, ranting about his 'girlfriend' and threatening the whole group of us.  We just kept on walking past him like the river goes around a rock, and that was the end of it, but of that group, more than one exercises their 2nd Amendment right.  There is no doubt in my mind that if he had been holding some sort of weapon, when he stepped out of the shadows, there would have been a very different outcome.

When my Corvette got broken into, the SUV next to me got 'keyed'.

One of my friends, on two occasions, was approached by panhandlers begging for money.  He was out by the curb in front of the CP, smoking a cigarette both times.

Another evening, a group of well know software guys, were walking back down by that spaghetti place close to the CP and were propositioned by hookers.  Nice area.

Another fellow was followed into a parking garage by someone he passed on the street.  He is a large man.  He left the mugger on the floor of the parking garage.

'CJ' (call escapes me) got his lip busted when he didn't have a cigarette for one of the street urchins.

CP does not have any security cameras on the plaza where the valet parking is.

The Dayton Police minimizes and under reports the criminal activity.   Right after my incident, I wrote emails to those who I thought should know what happened.  The police PR person politely tried to blow smoke up my butt about the whole thing.

I am not returning because of fear.  I don't need the hassle and I won't knowingly put myself in a situation where I may need to defend myself.

73 de Steve, NR4M