Re: [CQ-Contest] Scary

To: Stephen Bloom <sbloom@acsalaska.net>, CQ-Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Scary
From: Gerry Hull <gerry@yccc.org>
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2019 10:33:58 -0500
So, I will buck the consensus.

I've been doing SS about 42 years or so.   When I started I was a
snot-nosed teenager.   In my first SS, I had to listen to a station 5 to 10
times before I got all his information, and then I prayed I could copy his
QSO number.
(Not to mention KP4AST on SS SSB, who was such as fast talker it took the
same amount of times listening to even get his call!)

This is the story for many of those top-ten players in SS now back then.
 Learn by pushing yourself.    I believe slowing down the contest will not
encourage more CW activity.   The high end of the band has
always been a safe place for slower-speed guys in SS.

I would hazard to guess I send at one of the fastest CW speeds in SS.
 When the Pileups were enormous, I would send at 38-40 wpm.     When things
got slow, I would slow down to 34 or so,
Did I work many slow stations?   Perhaps 100s.   When stations called me
with a slow speed, I replied with a slow speed.  One op called me at 18
wpm.   I answered him at 18 WPM, and we made it.
(A new VE4 CW op who was under the tutelage of Cary, VE4EA, operating as
AJ1I).     It was NEVER a problem to QRS, when needed.   In some 960 QSOs,
I think I had one operator actually ask me to QRS, which I did
immediately.

With today's spotting technology and most new ops choosing to avail
themselves of spots, I'm sure they came to my frequency not being able to
copy at my sending speed.
Yet, we had a QSO.   It's simple to QRS as necessary.

However, IMHO, to keep peak rates I like to go fast.    It seems to work
for me in all contests.
I think it encourages new ops to strive for more.

I see this same interaction in CWOps CWT's and in the big four.

73

Gerry, W1VE
VY1AAA in SS CW 2019