[CQ-Contest] 3 and 4 letter contesting callsigns

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] 3 and 4 letter contesting callsigns
From: "Bob Shohet, KQ2M" <kq2m@kq2m.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2020 14:58:37 -0500
The first time that I heard the 1 x 1 I figured that I missed a letter or two.
But then it was confirmed and I thought, ok, either that’s the only call like
that, or the licensing authority changed the rules and lots of other contesters
will take advantage of it; which of course is what happened.

Most experienced contesters have seen similar changes before and we very
quickly adapt.

I like the 1 x 1 – much easier to get the whole call, less time in the pileup
listening to them call and much quicker in rate – which is why
Carib/SA/MiddleEast etc. can work the US at rates approaching 500 per hour in
the afternoons on 10 – 20 when signals are loud.  It’s because of our short(er)
calls.

I especially like the shorter calls in high qrm, high qrn and/or high qsb
conditions where one obliterated letter can wind up taking 1 – 2 minutes to get
correct.  It’s a very high price to pay for an extra character that takes a
fraction of a second to send.  My rates to JA would easily double or triple if
they went to 1 x 1 calls and I didn’t have to constantly ask for repeats.

When the Russians switched from 2 x 3 calls to 1 x 1, 1 x 2 and 2 x 1 calls
many years ago, rates on the East coast shot up significantly for obvious
reasons and so did contest scores on both sides.

Many years ago CT1BOH did an analysis on the length of callsigns (in dots and
dashes) of US contesters and Jose conclusively showed how longer calls like
KQ2M, sent many thousands of times during the weekend, actually in many fewer
cq’s and lower rates because it takes longer to send it each time.

The 1 x 1 guys know it too.  Easier to say, faster to say, better rate and
higher scores.  We’ll adapt and grow to like it.  That’s what contesters do.

73

Bob, KQ2M