Re: [CQ-Contest] Running by the numbers

To: Steve Dyer W1SRD <w1srd@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Running by the numbers
From: "rjairam@gmail.com" <rjairam@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2021 16:58:09 -0400
I like Martti and I've operated with him. However his style is a
little bit different. He tends to ragchew a little in some of the
pileups. I don't do that. But that is his style.

As for what I've done, I have explained that to some who asked me
privately but this is what I do.

1. Listen
2. Thin out the pileup by going split and/or picking off the strong
stations quickly. Yes, it does reward the lids a little but they will
just keep calling and there is nothing you can do about them. You have
to pick your battles. Telling them to shut up won't make them go away.
3. Pick out meaningful partials and call them. Don't call "the zulu
station" but you can call "4 x-ray zulu." Try for three characters
minimum.
4. The weak ones will show up, and when they do, work them. Try to
pick out their full calls the first time, otherwise see #3
5. Geographic areas are preferable to numbers. Numbers have become
largely meaningless today thanks to the FCC and also remote operation.
Many ops are confused - if I have a 2 call and I live in 6 land, which
do I answer? If you go by area, that variable is eliminated
completely.
6. Know your propagation and work with it. Some areas will be weaker.
Don't waste your time with marginal propagation to an area unless you
know it is a limited opening. Plan ahead and do directional calls
during that time. When that area becomes optimal work on them.
7. Don't feel bad if you aren't 100% fair. Do the best you can.
8. Don't operate AKTR (all knobs to right). I turn my RF gain down, as
a rule. With Flex I turn the AGC-T up. You will hear better.
9. Stand your ground but ignore those who make comments. I hear all
sorts of ops lecturing to the pileup... you're wasting your time. They
don't care. You could be making QSOs in that time.
10. Always record... you review your recordings and learn...

73
Ria, N2RJ