Re: [CQ-Contest] Running by the numbers

To: Steve Dyer W1SRD <w1srd@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Running by the numbers
From: kq2m@kq2m.com
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2021 08:17:13 -0500
That article was really well written and informative Steve, thank you for posting it!

Each op naturally has their own style and strengths and weaknesses in running pileups - and the op should realize and understand that the most effective techniques and strategies to be used should differ somewhat between running a pileup during a DX contest where there are many pileups of small size by many stations vs. running a pileup during a DXpedition when thousands of people are focusing their attention on working ONE station.

A good op should endeavor to employ all of their strengths and minimize all of their weaknesses while operating - experience with understanding and or speaking multiple languages can help, experience operating contests is helpful, knowledge of the radio(s) being used and how to filter stations and switch between frequencies is important, speed and accuracy of working stations by the op can build confidence and patience in the stations in the pileup and increase efficiency; likewise, the ops own attitude and mental flexibility is central to a good performance that benefits the greatest number of people.

Some ops are more patient and efficient than others; tone of voice and speed of speech can and should be altered depending on whether the op is trying to calm down the callers in a pileup vs speeding them up and moving them around. Some ops are better are "learning on the fly" how to improve, others are not. All things being equal you want a more resilient and adaptable op to work the more difficult pileups rather than giving them an inexperienced op with a rigid manner - this is especially true under conditions of physical and/or mental stress, lack of sleep, etc.

The same goes for hearing ability - we are not born with equal abilities to process and understand language and accents and we don't all have the same audio frequency processing range. This matters in larger and more challenging pileups when station are calling on top of each other and especially so during qrn, qsb and qrm when the ability and willingness to quickly get a piece of a callsign and efficiently turn that into a qso is critical to rate and pileup control.

In the end, regardless of what we are naturally born with, all of these mental and physical skills can be developed and hopefully mastered with dedication, persistence and a willingness to be flexible in operating style - matching the strategies employed to the conditions on the freq. A good op, inexperienced or not, will attempt to experiment and try different things while operating in an effort to improve efficiency. Energy and enthusiasm for working the calling stations; conveyed through the pace of speech and tone of voice is also an excellent way to manage an "enthusiastic" pileup and gain their cooperation.

Even if there is an inexperienced op who is overmatched by the challenges of running a particular pileup, if they maintain the right attitude and keep in mind the "bigger" picture of what to strive for as an operator, they will achieve better results and make far more people happy, than if they don't.

73

Bob, KQ2M