Re: [CQ-Contest] Do you have A/C in your shack?

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Do you have A/C in your shack?
From: kq2m@kq2m.com
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2021 18:41:26 -0500
My shack is in the basement and there is no window space large enough for an A/C. I have thus far resisted purchasing a portable non-window based unit although I may reconsider.

I don't ever need A/C between October - April; and during the Winter months it can be absolutely freezing even in SO2R mode with two amps - that's because heat rises and cold air sinks - right to the floor level where my feet are.
;-)

Between May - September the heat and humidity gradually build in the basement - and in July - August the humidity is very bad - and with more water vapor in the air, the temperature stays that much warmer than as compared to when there are low levels of humidity. The heat/humidity can really sap your energy - it makes me sleepy very quickly even when operating in shorts and a T-shirt. A large fan helps but that creates blower noise and very humid air blown at you is not very cooling. A high powered window A/C would definitely help the score!

In Western CT our weather can be extremely unpredictable during WPX - I have seen years when it got down into the upper 20's at night and other years when it was close to 100 F. Most of the time WPCW is ok but IARU and WAE can be rough to operate in full SO2R mode with two amps.

I would suggest to anyone to put a good size A/C in their shack if they can - better to be too powerful than not enough! The additional score generated per $1 spent on A/C may be more cost-effective than almost any other equipment in or out of the the shack!

73

Bob KQ2M