Re: [CQ-Contest] Do you have A/C in your shack?

To: "ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca" <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Do you have A/C in your shack?
From: Bill Coleman <aa4lr@arrl.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2021 12:27:29 -0400
Here in Georgia, A/C is a necessity for survival in the summer.

However, I did operate for nearly four years out of a storage closet off a
carport that did not have A/C, although I did manage to heat it using a small
space heater. I wrote about it in my blog:
http://boringhamradiopart.blogspot.com/2015/06/farewell-to-micro-shack.html

“The Micro-Shack wasn't always the most inviting place. In the wintertime, it
could be quite cold. The digital thermometer would sometimes read about 45
degrees F on the coldest days. However, a small space heater would warm things
up in a half-hour or so. Summertime was much tougher. When it is hot in
Georgia, it is hot. I could open the door and run a floor fan to cool things
down a bit -- but in the height of summer, it would just blow hot air around. I
don't know how I operated contests such as Field Day or IARU in the heat of the
summer.

The Micro-Shack wasn't convenient, either. Feel the call of nature? Well, you
have to go out of the storage room and walk to the house. More than once I was
outside operating late at night and my family would lock the door. Perhaps they
were trying to tell me something. I told my wife the next place should
definitely have a shack where you don't have to walk out of doors to get to the
operating position.”

Sometimes, I miss that place.

> On Jul 27, 2021, at 10:22 AM, ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca wrote:
>
> Keep in mind when reading the following, I am from the Maritimes and have
> lived
> all my life in VO2, VO1, VE1 and VE9....so I don't do the high temps well ;-)
>
> During the recent IARU contest I think this was the first time I  *ever*
> really
> stopped operating due to heat/humidity.  I laid my head down "for a few
> minutes"
> and woke up 5.5hrs later. Oof !
>
> My el-cheapo thermometer on the desk next to my keyboard said it was 31.5*C
> (88.8*F)...I don't recall what the humidity was in the house,(probably a bit
> lower than outside)  but outside was up to 94% at 11pm according to
> Environment
> Canada.
>
> I QRT'd not long after midnight, shattered from the "heat".
>
> So....has anyone installed A/C in their shack? How did you like it? Run it
> every
> contest? Only in the summer?
>
> Y'day I bought a teeny-tiny window A/C unit ~5000btu (on sale at that) and
> will
> hopefully once installed, will try it out next contest,  assuming no QRM/RFI.
> Living way out in the country. I like a quiet RX.
>
> I think in my mid-late 50's, I am finally getting soft.
>
> In the winter, I just turn my shack heat off and sometimes even open a window.
> In the summer, I often operate LP or QRP....
> In the IARU, with HP SO2R it was pretty warm and my shack is very very small.
>
> What has been your experience with heat/humidity while operating? (doesn't
> have
> to have been in YOUR shack)
>
> Tnx !
>
> --