Re: [CQ-Contest] CQWW CW LCR "incorrect call"

To: Mike Smith VE9AA <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>, CQ-Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CQWW CW LCR "incorrect call"
From: kq2m@kq2m.com
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 10:24:19 -0600

Hi Mike,

Yes, this IS annoying. My experience has been that in a large % of cases, I actually have to KNOW that the callsign is incorrect in order to repeat their call with ? and then hope that they come back with their correct call. If they don't respond I try a 2nd time and even a 3rd time. If they still have not come back with their call then I send NIL and remove the qso from my log. What a waste of time and effort all because they can't spend 5 seconds giving me their callsign again!

The question is WHY are they not responding to their call (or similar call) with a ?

Do they not understand what I am asking?
Have they already left the freq. because they did not want to wait an extra few seconds to hear me confirm the qso?
Did they not hear my request?  (QRM, QRN, etc.?)
Did they not care whether I got their callsign correct or not?

I don't know.

So many times I send CL? and instead of their callsign they send their report. Huh?

It's all frustrating.

On SSB I say "Callsign?" or "Callsign again?" Usually there is no response.
And then I have to delete that qso from my log.

Now compound that with the incessant callers qrming my request for their callsign and it
gets even more annoying.

Unfortunately, people with poor operating practices and not caring about whether I get their call correct or not, also don't care that there in now a KQ2M NIL in their LCR months after the contest. I don't know what the answer is. There shouldn't be any people that don't respond to "Callsign?" or "CL?" on cw.

73

Bob, KQ2M