CT-User

[ct-user] CT BBS

To: <ct-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [ct-user] CT BBS
From: Tony <ke6ynr@garlic.com> (Tony)
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 1997 08:56:57 -0800
Hi Bruce & the Group,

At 13:15 -0800 12/04/97, Bruce Lallathin wrote:
> If there was a small charge for
>upgrades it would help to keep the programmer compensated for a lot of
>work. How about a flat fee per year, say $35 to get a "PIN" number to
>access the BBS or preferably the internet site. Lets face it, I have got a
>lot for my initial investment! If is worth having it is worth paying for...

I would agree in principle. But... The going rate for annual software
maintenance for 'big' workstations (Sun, HP, etc.)is about 12% of the
cost of the product; _not_ 44%. The 12% cost has the customer paying
for bug fixes as well as feature enhancements.

In line with software upgrades for personal computers, 40 to 50% would be
an appropriate price to upgrade a major revision. Say from version 9.x.x to
version 10.x.x. A mini upgrade could happen if significant features were
added without the major rev incrementing.

There's my 4 cents worth. What do you think?

--------
Meanwhile, that's GREAT to have the BBS info put directly on the internet.
Us poor folks with only ISDN lines will be able to reach it, too.

cheers & 73,  Tony

Tony Armendariz
Internet: ke6ynr@garlic.com
  Packet: KE6YNR@N6QMY.#NCA.CA.USA.NOAM