CT-User

[ct-user] radio communication

To: <ct-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [ct-user] radio communication
From: Michael McCarthy, W1NR" <w1nr@eecorp.com (Michael McCarthy, W1NR)
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 22:34:38 -0500

In my experience, every time I have had a crash with CT, it was due
to RF.  80 meters is prone to crashing the computer at W1BK and
40 was a bugger at my old QTH.  I have one interesting problem with
my 850S on 80 meters.  When I key up at high power, it "locks"
the radio in transmit until I turn off the VOX.  It only happens
when the keyer line to the LPT port is plugged in to the computer.
It does not matter if the computer is on or off.  As soon as I
unplug the cable from the back of the computer, the problem goes
away.

Try and track if the problem is only happening on a certain band.
On a multi though, the problem may even be from another station.
Changing cable lengths and/or better shielding or quality of cables
can sometimes help.  Usually, the shorter the better.  I have found
that even changing the grounds can give better and worse results.

A "new" problem was the 850 VFO not getting set properly out of
the P&S window.  This worked fine in both CQWW tests and now
just seemed to pop up this weekend.  I had to reboot several
times and we are still using 9.27.

Mike, W1NR

--
**************** Give Every Man His Dew **************