CT-User

[ct-user] LPT Keying Cable Problem

To: <ct-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [ct-user] LPT Keying Cable Problem
From: K4OJ" <k4oj@tampabay.rr.com (K4OJ)
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 18:46:05 -0400
radio comes up key down as expected, huh!

sounds like you are saying that when the interface is plugged in and you
turn the rig on it is key down (xmitting)

If this is indeed the case you probably are one of the many 90's (00's)
radio users who will need to buy a stereo adapter plug for your keying
line...

Check this out with out the interface plugged into your rig, using your
ohmmeter or some other way to check for conductivity is the tip and the
shield a short, like you would get with the ole J38 straight key depressed?
AKA key down....

If so then I say it is a computer related problem....but form the way you
describe it I bet it is the "new age" rig syndrome I have witnessed on
Kenwood,  Icom and Yaesu rigs...

The problem is related to how they have inboard keyers and want to use that
jack in the back (buster rhyme???) as both the port for your keying line or
the jack for your paddle...usually a switch on the front panel of the rig
allows you to turn the keyer on or off...

I have found as a host to many multi-ops this to be a problem...can remember
more than one weekend when plugging the usual 1/4" phono plug to RCA jack
adapter resulted in the rig going key down, before the interface was
attached...

If this is goin on go to radio shack and get one of those 1/4" stereo plug
that has the whole in the back of the plug for a 1/4" mono plug to go
in...this is the fix for that...

Otherwise, assuming your software is configured to tell the right comm port
the fact that you want that one as the keyer info I would say you are in a
whole  'nother world!

Check with a local who does the code...it is a quickie to check  with a VOM!

GL

k4oj