CT-User

[ct-user] Submittal of ARRL 160 Entries

To: <ct-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [ct-user] Submittal of ARRL 160 Entries
From: k8cc <k8cc@mediaone.net> (by way of Jim Reisert AD1C <jjreisert@alum.mit.edu>) (k8cc)
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 11:29:26 -0500
Logs for the ARRL 160 Contest have been arriving in a steady stream.  Its
only been a week since the contest and we're already within about 20% of
matching the number of electronic logs received last year.  A great number
of these appear to be Cabrillo logs, and the logchecking squad deeply
appreciates the effort that the contest community has made stepping up to
the new requirements.

However, some logs are being received in such a state which will require a
significant amount of manual effort on our part to process.  This e-mail is
intended to clarify what we need to process your log - a little bit of
effort on the part of the entrant can save us a lot tedious manual work.

First, all we need to receive from you is a Cabrillo file.  If the format
is implemented correctly by your logging software, and all the information
is filled in, we need nothing else.  You may also send a separate summary
file if you wish, BUT IT SHOULD NOT BE NECESSARY.  Do not send us
dupesheets, logsheets intended for printout, breakdowns, etc.

Its been communicated to the logchecking team that CT does not produce a
correct Cabrillo log for ARRL 160.  If this is the case with your version,
then you should send the CALLSIGN.LOG file produced from the CT WRITEARRL
command, and the CT-generated summary sheet.  These should be sent as
separate files - please do not attempt to graft them together in some
pseudo-Cabrillo format which we will simply have to rip apart
again.  Please use the correct file names - the log is CALLSIGN.LOG, and
the summary is CALLSIGN.SUM, where CALLSIGN is the callsign used during the
contest.

Second, your log entry should be sent as an attachment(s), not as text in
the body of the e-mail.

Third, PLEASE USE THE CORRECT FILENAME.  Your log file should be
CALLSIGN.LOG, not CALLSIGN.CAB, or CALLSIGN.CBO, or CALLSIGN.CBR, or
CALLSIGN.TXT.  Please send the correct file from the output of your logging
program.  Do not take a different ASCII file and just rename it.

Again, all of these details will help us process the incoming logs quicker,
and spend our time where we add value; that is, making sure you get credit
for everything your entry deserves.  This is not an idle statement - the
more time we have to work with the logs (rather than simply
receiving/sorting/converting them) we can find simple errors which cost
people points (like a log erroneously claiming to be in one state when
operated from another).

Of course, all of the preceding points apply to the ARRL 10 Meter Contest
logs as well :-)

73,

Dave Pruett, K8CC
Tim Mitchell, K9TM