CT-User

[ct-user] KH6/KL7 problem in 10 meter contest

To: <ct-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [ct-user] KH6/KL7 problem in 10 meter contest
From: Gary Yantis" <gyantis@midtec.com (Gary Yantis)
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 11:47:10 -0600
There were several postings over the weekend including one from me saying
that "AK" and "HI" didn't show up as worked even after you worked stations
in these states.  One posting said CT was apparently counting KH6 and KL7 as
country multipliers instead of as states.  Since the final score would be
the same, it didn't seem like a serious problem.  Unfortunately, I
discovered this morning there is more to it than that.  I was going through
our log fixing things like KH6DX/M being in W6 and such when I noticed two
sets of Alaska and Hawaii multipliers for both CW and SSB.  BTW -- if you're
new to CT, you can fix almost any callsign/wrong location problem with a "="
command.  For example tell CT to consider KH6DX/M to be in W6 by
"KH6DX/M=W6".

Apparently, in this contest, the first time you work KH6 or KL7, CT counts
it as a country then the second time you work that same state it counts it
as a country.  Sorry to be the bearer of bad news to all of you like us that
worked more than one on each mode.  It will cost you a multiplier for each
of the two once you correct for the CT glitch in your log.

How to fix it is another story.  It will probably vary depending on who you
worked.  I first did a "RMDUPES".  Don't ask me how that helped but it did.
But it threw in a few random glitches like counting KN6DFM as Hawaii.  So I
did a "KN6DFM=W6" to fix that one.  I also had to do a "KY7J=KL7",
"WH7K=KH6" and "WH6R=KH6" even though we had correctly put in AK and HI for
those contacts.  But I'm guessing how to fix your log will be somewhat
different.

This cost us (KØGY multi-single) 6K points but better to count every vote
(er, I mean contact).  I'm now looking for hanging chads and intentions to
work us in the k0gy.txt file to, hopefully, gain those points back.

I'll turn this in on the CT glitch report at www.k1ea.com for Ken to look at
before next year's contest.

Gary, W0TM
www.w0tm.com