CT-User

RE: [ct-user] CT 9.92.001 Slow down, (WAS: CT 9.92.001 andWin95help)

To: "reflector ct-user" <ct-user@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [ct-user] CT 9.92.001 Slow down, (WAS: CT 9.92.001 andWin95help)
From: "David Robbins K1TTT" <k1ttt@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 14:52:39 -0000
There are a couple times when you may get delays depending on your
computer speed and setup.

1. after the first 2 characters ct tries to update the super check
partial window with every character you type or delete from the
callsign.
2. when you hit enter or insert to log the call ct tries to query the
radio for a frequency if you have one set up.  If it is having trouble
that can cause a delay and probably a radio timeout message at that
point.
3. when you enter a qso in the log ct tries to put it in the band map,
besides getting a frequency from the radio as above it also apparently
resorts(is this right ken?  Maybe a fix for the vfo-a/b messed up
bandmaps?) the bandmap list.  If there are lots of dx spots in the list
it can cause a delay there... to reduce this use the bandmapage command
to reduce the size of the list, the default is 60, I find that 15 works
pretty well on my old 386dx25's in big contests.
4. if you use autosave there is a delay every hour when it writes to the
floppy.
5. network traffic may also cause a slowdown.  This can be bad if you
are using Ethernet on a busy network.  Because the network drivers are
relatively dumb they do lots of processing on each packet they see on
the network even if they aren't from ct.  this can be a problem if you
share the Ethernet segment with someone streaming audio or video or
doing heavy web surfing.
6. rf in the keyboard, serial port, or other places can slow down ct if
it doesn't crash completely
7. large logs even on slow disk drives don't seem to be a big problem.
But if your disk drive goes to sleep that may slow it down.
8. running ctdos in a window can cause odd slowdowns as windoze steals
cycles to to other stuff.  Best to run ctdos booted just to dos instead
of in a window.

There are probably more, but those are the ones I can think of off
hand...

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@arrl.net
web: http://www.k1ttt.net