CT-User

RE: [ct-user] CT 9.92.001 Slow down, (WAS: CT 9.92.001 and Win95help)

To: "David Robbins K1TTT" <k1ttt@arrl.net>,"reflector ct-user" <ct-user@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [ct-user] CT 9.92.001 Slow down, (WAS: CT 9.92.001 and Win95help)
From: Ed Parish K1EP <k1ep@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 10:25:28 -0500
At 12/16/03 09:52 AM, David Robbins K1TTT wrote:
>There are a couple times when you may get delays depending on your
>computer speed and setup.
>
>1. after the first 2 characters ct tries to update the super check
>partial window with every character you type or delete from the
>callsign.

Most likely the cause in my case.

>2. when you hit enter or insert to log the call ct tries to query the
>radio for a frequency if you have one set up.  If it is having trouble
>that can cause a delay and probably a radio timeout message at that
>point.

Radio communications worked fine, no delays.

>3. when you enter a qso in the log ct tries to put it in the band map,
>besides getting a frequency from the radio as above it also apparently
>resorts(is this right ken?  Maybe a fix for the vfo-a/b messed up
>bandmaps?) the bandmap list.  If there are lots of dx spots in the list
>it can cause a delay there... to reduce this use the bandmapage command
>to reduce the size of the list, the default is 60, I find that 15 works
>pretty well on my old 386dx25's in big contests.

No packet racquet.

>4. if you use autosave there is a delay every hour when it writes to the
>floppy.

No autosave.

>5. network traffic may also cause a slowdown.  This can be bad if you
>are using Ethernet on a busy network.  Because the network drivers are
>relatively dumb they do lots of processing on each packet they see on
>the network even if they aren't from ct.  this can be a problem if you
>share the Ethernet segment with someone streaming audio or video or
>doing heavy web surfing.

No network.

>6. rf in the keyboard, serial port, or other places can slow down ct if
>it doesn't crash completely

No RF either, as I was S&P, entering the call to see if it was a dupe.

>7. large logs even on slow disk drives don't seem to be a big problem.
>But if your disk drive goes to sleep that may slow it down.

Only on for an hour, rate was about 40 or so an hour, not enough time for disk
sleep.

>8. running ctdos in a window can cause odd slowdowns as windoze steals
>cycles to to other stuff.  Best to run ctdos booted just to dos instead
>of in a window.

Booted into DOS.

>There are probably more, but those are the ones I can think of off
>hand...

I just noticed this.  I normally run CT on my 486DX66 machine without a
problem.  I was testing out a P-III 600MHz machine this time.  It might have to
do with the config.sys/autoexec.bat memory setup.