RE: [Karlnet] Karlnet Question.... Wil this work... :-)

To: <karlnet@WISPNotes.com>
Subject: RE: [Karlnet] Karlnet Question.... Wil this work... :-)
From: "Charles Chia Sheng Wu" <cwu@cwlab.net>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2002 16:13:58 -0500
>Well guys... I have a question on a setup I have installed currently that
>isn't working right.... I don't believe it to work at all but just want to
>run this by Doug, Charles, Tony(I talked to you already I know), and the
>others.

should've called me first <g>

>1. Will a Single User SOHO(Base Station) talk to a Single SOHO(Satellite
>Station) and work?

in certain situations, yes

>2. Will this work:
>Omni (ISP Base) < - > (Grid)Unlimited Satellite --Crossover-- Single
>SOHO(Base)Grid< - > Grid Single SOHO(Satellite) -- Computer
>Will the computer be able to pass data all the way to the omni?

if you are bridging everything, no
theoretically, if you correctly route at your unlimited satellite, so the
Single SOHO(Base)Grid only sees the MAC address of the router (e.g.,
(Grid)Unlimited Satellite), than it should work (this is theoretical b/c
I've never done this, but it should work)

>Or will the first single soho stop this from happening because of the 1 MAC
>limitation?

if you're bridging at the (Grid)Unlimited Satellite - you may run into
problems

>What about this? Notice the switch instead of the Crossover:
>Omni (ISP Base) < - > (Grid)Unlimited Satellite --Switch-- Single
>SOHO(Base)Grid< - > Grid Single SOHO(Satellite) -- Computer
>Does this make any difference?

no

>Currently with that setup you can ping the 2 SOHO's but nothing past that.
>So if I even place a 5 User SOHO as the Base SOHO I be able to connect to
>the other SOHO(Satellite) and then be able to communicate to the rest of
the
>network???

really depends on how your network is setup - another option would be to put
a Linksys Router b/n the (Grid)Unlimited Satellite & SingleSOHO(Base)

>Will that work or do I just need to place another Unlimited Satellite where
>the Single SOHO(Base) is at?

if you're going to bridge, it's probably easiest to use an unlimite
satellite (SR-4200)

>I know there are probably better ways to do this but we are planning on
>coming back later when we have more time and putting in a real ISP Base
with
>an omni etc. This way we can reuse these satellites other places.

I understand

-Charles