Re: [Karlnet] Re: [isp-wireless] Re: Anyone have experience with this c

Subject: Re: [Karlnet] Re: [isp-wireless] Re: Anyone have experience with this combination
From: "Caleb Carroll" <karlnet@pathcom.ca>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 18:30:32 -0600
Are you wondering about running a point-to-multipoint outdoor network?  If this
is the case, I wouldn't even think about SEC software since you're considering
64 customers.  CDMA works well if all stations can hear each other, if not
(this applies to most outdoor networks) then you need to use another multiple
access communication method eg. FDMA, TDMA, Polling.  TurboCell "manages" the
built-in code division access method by polling.  If you already have the
AP-1000 & RG-1100 hardware, I suggest spending the money on TurboCell licenses.
 If you don't have the hardware already I strongly recommend looking for
another solution that uses TDM as a multiple access method.  If you are just
starting out in the wireless business, I can provide on-site consulting to help
you set up your network.  I have an extensive background in both wireless
technologies and IP networks.  We are actively involved in a number of
international wireless projects.

>1) Do I have to upgrade all of my existing RG1100 clients to SEC Client Code
>for them to connect?
Yes.  Otherwise, the RG-1100 only operates as an AccessPoint and not a Mobile
Router.

>2) If so, what does the SEC client cost for the RG's?
Don't know.  I can get TurboCell licenses for RG's for $79

>3) Do I lose all of the polling features of Turbocell when I do this?
Yes.

>4) Is it still realistic to support 64 clients per radio in this mode?
No.  From personal experience - Wi-fi becomes useless outdoors with as little
as 20 clients.

>5) I know there has to be a downside here, what is it?
You will have to spend more money to make it work right.