[Karlnet] RE: Reduction of Karlnet features w/out notification.

To: karlnet@WISPNotes.com
Subject: [Karlnet] RE: Reduction of Karlnet features w/out notification.
From: Blair Drew Davis <theory@datawise.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 23:34:25 -0500
For us, no integrated solution like the KN-50 is useful. With mostly long range shots, we use DB-24 antenna's almost exclusively. We also prefer to have our radio electronics where they can be serviced without climbing on to the roof or having to tilt over the antenna mast. Winter weather here can prevent rooftop service for days at a time. Due to the heavy tree infestation of our area, we often have 10-20 foot masts.

Also, having had many bad experiences with PoE, we have just about abandoned any use of it. Every time we had a lightning storm or a windy but dry winter day we had to go out and reconfigure or replace our PoE clients.

What we really need is a reliable supply of the Ubicomm's Karlnet satellites or the upcoming Karlnet satellite flash for the Linksys WET11. As we are currently converting from standard 802.11b AP's to Karlnet, the flash for the Linksys's would allow us to preserve much of our current hardware investment.

And, one last comment: The loss of the SC-4700 will make signal testing harder for many of us. Without it, it will be difficult to troubleshoot /validate antenna and cable. Keep this product available, please!!

--
Blair Davis
Computer Adjusters of Allegan

AOL Instant Message Screen Name theory240