[Karlnet] Fog and Cold

To: <karlnet@WISPNotes.com>
Subject: [Karlnet] Fog and Cold
From: "Eric Sooter" <eric@junct.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 14:37:21 -0600

We have a 12 mile point-to-point with clear fresnel zone.  It is using 24db
grids using Karlnet 4.44-01 Satellites on both sides setup for "No Base".
One is an AP-1000 and the other is an AP-500.  All have Orinoco Silver
cards, not sure on firmware version.  We've had this link over a year now,
but this winter we are having major problems with the link.  The link is
currently setup for 2MB.  One side of the link is near a lake; after a cold
rain or snow one side of the area can generate a good amount of fog.  Oddly,
when this happens we are generally affected late morning until noon.  What
really is puzzling, is that the link test shows a nice SNR around 33+ on
both ends of the link.  But during these conditions packet loss becomes
insane sometimes going all the way to 35%.  We've changed out radio cards,
cabling, pigtails, amps.  Yes, both ends of the link are amped at 500mW.

This ptp link feeds Internet to about 4 base stations all with about 70
customers spread out among them.  Currently, we are bridging all our
wireless network with about 120 hosts on the entire network.  I know that
this is not good.   And we are planning to subnet/route the network between
this 12 mile link instead of bridge it.

Aside from all that, this connection functions very nicely during nice sunny
days usually with zero packet loss.  But after snow/rain (fog) during this
cold season, packet loss goes to hell (with SNR staying good).  Anyone have
any ideas?  Unfortunately, we are going to start losing accounts if I can't
deliver a solution.

Eric Sooter

The Junction Internet LLC

Partner and Founder