[Karlnet] signal drop/ packet loss from firmware or orinoco radios

To: Karlnet@wispnotes.com
Subject: [Karlnet] signal drop/ packet loss from firmware or orinoco radios
From: Scott <wifiengineer@telsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 14:05:46 -0500
I am curious to see if anyone else has had problems with signal strength (db),
dropping a 25% and packet loss at the same time, for no clear reason, with
perfect line-of-sight.  I have now seen it between my main COR running 4.15 and
a ROR running 4.31.  I am going to upgrade both to the latest release, but I
figured I would check with my fellow Karlnet peeps and see if i am looking at a
different issue.  I have also seen this between a YDI Eth-Ant and an AP
interface on a ROR running 4.15, so I am not sure what firmware relationships
could be the issue.  On top of it, both shots, when the db strength drops,
still exhibit an SNR above 16, which may not be great, but normally do not
cause packet loss.  There is ample signal spread between the two radios and
radios in the area, at least the ones I control, and if there was a noise
issue, I would expect the noise to rise, not the strength of the radios to
drop.  I am almost wondering if the radio cards (Orinoco Gold/ and or Ava!
 ya) are the issue.  I may need to start looking into a better radio solution.
I dunno.  Any thoughts?