Re: [Karlnet] who wants CB3 TC client?

To: karlnet@WISPNotes.com
Subject: Re: [Karlnet] who wants CB3 TC client?
From: "Brad Gass" <bradlists@mnns.com>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 23:09:47 -0500 (CDT)
One vote "yay", but...

I had queried Kevin Knuth directly about this exact possibilty some time
ago (July 13, 2003 to be exact), and his reply was "The Engenius device is
not Ubicom based.  It is actually made by Senao and has an ADMTEK chipset
on it (or so it seems)."

I don't own a CB3 anywhere on my network (yet), so I can't personally
crack it open and look.  But before this discussion gets too much
momentum, are you all sure the device is actually Ubicom based?  If it's
not Ubicom based (as in the processor the design uses at it's core), I
doubt Karlnet would lightly consider going through the hair-pulling
experience of porting the software to a completely foreign processor.

If it's indeed Ubicom based and "TurboCell-able", and the JTAG header is
in a decent spot, regardless of pins or not, it'd be easy to fixture up
with pogo-pins.  Even easier if the holes aren't filled with solder.  That
issue is the least of the problems.

It's not a questions of "want" in my mind really, it's a question of
"possible" at this point.

So, put me down as a "yes" and I'll reserve my diatribe about "the amount
of effort that goes into coding/developing twisted licensing schemes and
squashing hardware down to the absolute bare minimum vs. getting good,
stable, debug-able, reasonably bug free code out the door to paying
customers and allowing some significant hardware headroom for future
code/feature expansion" for later.

Brad

> Bob,
>
> A JTAG header is a 10 pin header like where you put the jumpers on an
IDE hard drive.

> It is used to load low-level software into the embedded CPU.
>
> All I ment is that the pins are not soldered into the PC board.  The
holes are there for the pins, tho.

> Hope this helps.
>
> --
> Blair Davis
> West Michigan Wireless ISP
> A division of
> Camp Communication Services, INC.
> (269) 686-8648
>
> AOL Instant Message Screen Name       theory240
>

> Bob Hrbek wrote:
>
>>What's a JTAG header?
As I only have the one unit with a TC flash, on the software side, I
can
>>>only offer that the flash seems stable....
>>>On the hardware side we have only had one unit fail in 802.11b mode,
and
>>>that was my fault.
>>>For those of you who don't know much about the CB3, here are it's high
points.....
>>>200mW radio with ext. RP-TNC connector (with 3db omni)
>>>nice plastic case that can be set on a desk or in an antenna box 12V DC
power supply for direct connection
>>>POE on board (use a standard injector, $12 or so, with it's standard
power supply for up to 150 ft or 50m)
>>>under $90USD in quantity and $112USD in single units.
>>>The point of this is that we could have a high powered TC client for
$140USD or so.
>>>The only issue with the units was that the JTAG header on the PC board
was not installed, but, per Karlnet support, a clamp could be made to
get around this.
>>>Another point is that Karlnet might not want to deal with flashing the
units.  If so, we would happy to work out a deal with Karlnet to do