[Karlnet] CRITICAL problem w/ Karlnet firmware?

To: karlnet@WISPNotes.com
Subject: [Karlnet] CRITICAL problem w/ Karlnet firmware?
From: "Caleb Carroll" <karlnet@pathcom.ca>
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2004 15:12:31 -0600
About 2 months ago (when we first upgraded our customer base to firmware
v4.44-02) we had a problem at one of our base stations (KN-200) where we lost
the ability to communicate with any of our customers (KN-100's & RG-1100's).
After our technicians spent 4 frantic hours of trying to determine what the
problem was, I decided to investigate the problem myself.  Our technicians
could see what looked like a CW on their spectrum analyzer.  I spent the next 2
hours driving around trying to pinpoint where the signal was coming from (we
assumed that it was something very nearby).  I finally found the source of the
interference... It was from 10 miles away and ... It was one of our customers!
No one was home at the time so we disconnected the antenna and suddenly all of
the other customers came back online.

Later on, we returned to this customers house and made the following notes
PRIOR to turning off the customer's KN-100:

1) the same signal was still being transmitted from the KN-100.
2) we could use configurator to login to the KN-100.
3) because the profile of the spectrum use on the spectrum analyzer looked
similar to what you would see if you used the "Antenna Alignment, Full Speed"
function, we decided to enter 0 seconds to run the test (0=Stop).  the signal
did not stop.
4) the customer owned a multi-handset 2.4GHz phone system with 4 phones.
5) the customer had a 2.4GHz Linksys router sitting on top of the KN-100
(channel overlap was 14MHz, KN-100 on ch3 and Linksys on ch6 - of course, we
didn't install it).

TODAY, WE HAD A REPEAT OF THIS INCIDENT.

Notes from today:

1) the customer had an RG-1100
2) we could login with configurator (we saved the config file this time).
3) the customer owns a 2.4GHz telephone.

I'm going to send the configuration file to Karlnet and I'm going to post an
.mpg file of the spectrum analyzer output later on today.