Re: [Karlnet] repeted Radio failure.

Subject: Re: [Karlnet] repeted Radio failure.
From: Chris Conn <cconn@abacom.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 12:51:00 -0400
joe wrote:
I have a location that seems to destroy radios.  I'm using KN-105 w/PoE and
a 12v regulator in an integrated 19 dBi antenna and SMC 200mw radio(have
also tried Ecomm's 200mw).  The antenna is mounted on a composite shingled
roof and is grounded to the incoming power conduits for the building.  The
company uses large amounts of power, I see a gauge on the power panel that
continuously reads in excess of 250A (440V).  There has been some lightening
in the area, but this location seems to toast radios even when there is no
lightening.  Recently every other day.

Anyone have experience/suggestions with/for this sort of problem?

Joseph Conrad
Mountain Computer Wizards, Inc.

We have had problems similar to this where the radio performance (ie signal) would degrade to very low levels, even under 30mW. We seem to have solved this problem by using a 24VDC supply. We suspect that the long run of ethernet cable (maybe around 150 feet) was causing this. We have damaged 3 200mW radios in this manner. However they would still function, only very attenuated signal. How long is your ethernet?

Chris