[Karlnet] Lightning Issues

Subject: [Karlnet] Lightning Issues
From: jna@tcpbbs.net
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 02:23:44 -0500
Hello,

I am at desperation here. We have a kn205 setup on a 150' building central
to all our tower locations. This kn205 is a hub to each tower we have as
well as the backhaul into our NOC. Every single time a storm comes through
with lightning our kn205 reboots with every single lightning bolt. Lightning
is not striking this unit but it is somehow reacting to the strikes even
some being a whole city away. We actually tried switching the kn205 for a
new one thinking something was wrong with it. We tried new cards. Karlnet
sent us a 48v power supply which they thought would fix it but no luck. DOne
POE done direct wire. We have had an electrician check wiring and grounding
which all panned out OK. The crazy thing is we have the karlnet kn250
sitting right next to the kn205 plugged into the same power line going into
the same UPS and this kn250 does NOT reboot. We also have a computer plugged
into the same power line and UPS and this does not reboot during storms. Its
driving me bonkers we have had 2 days of lightning and it has literally
caused us more downtime than uptime all because our main hub the kn205 wont
stay running during a electrical storm. Does anyone have any idea WHAT could
be happening here? Karlnet is clueless on this one. I have got to do
something. Last resort is to replace everything karlnet doing backhauls with
mikrotik or something but damn I already have so much invested in my karlnet
backhauls!

Thanks,
John