NA-User

[na-user] SS Database

To: <na-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [na-user] SS Database
From: Mitchell, Tim (T.K.)" <tmitche4@visteon.com (Mitchell, Tim (T.K.))
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 10:39:52 -0500

For what its worth here is that tact I have taken on the database debate.  I
do NOT want this feature.  Furthermore, anyone who has this feature and
thinks it will help them when they work me better think again... if you go
with the database, you are likely to be wrong!

There is nothing in the rules that says I must send the same info every
contest.  I got a taste of how many database users there are when I did
sprint and NAQP this year (and used different names for each of these).
People did not copy what I sent they kept responding with a name I had used
in the past.

I did not think I was going to change anyones mind on the issue... so I have
my own answer.  I will invalidate their old info database by sending
something new.  Problem for me is that it sometimes slows me down as some
people ask for repeats... however, I would rather do that then give into
this "easier" mantality.  Also, there are already versions of a program out
there that do it so we have to solve this at the sending end of the qso.

If we go with the database, why bother to have an exchange at all ?  Why not
just copy the callsign ?  Since the call is the key into the database the
rest of the info doesn't matter.  I am all for making ones self and station
better but IMHO this does not do either.

73 Tim K9TM