NA-User

[NA-User] NA with MS-XP

To: <na-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [NA-User] NA with MS-XP
From: japancorporateresearch@compuserve.com (Hal Offutt)
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2002 11:30:58 -0500
Hello,

I hope everyone is having a nice holiday.

I know that the subject of using NA with Microsoft XP has been discussed
here in the past, but I didn't pay much attention since the issue didn't
affect me at the time.  Now it does.  I finally decided to replace my
five-year old CTX laptop and now I have a brand new Dell Pentium 4 laptop
with all the bells and whistles.  Naturally, it came with XP installed.  I
do recall statements on this reflector to the effect that XP does not have
MS-DOS and that NA is a DOS program, but I really didn't pay much attention
beyond that.  I have checked the Datom website but there is nothing that
directly addresses this issue there.

I note that there is a way to create an MS-DOS startup disk in XP, which
allows one to get a command prompt.  I haven't actually done this but it
looks simple.  Will this somehow allow me to run NA on my XP computer?  Or
have any of you geniuses figured out another way to use my favorite logging
program with XP?

Of course I can continue to use the old computer for NA at home, but it
sure would be nice to be able to use the new laptop for logging when I am
on trips.  I really don't want to have to haul around two laptops!

If nothing else, it would be a big help if I could do things like entering
logs in the post-contest mode with the new laptop.  (Operating 3-4 mobile
contests each year makes for a lot of post-contest log entering.)  Even if
I can't key a rig properly, can I at least get the program up and running?

Any help appreciated.

73,

Hal W1NN