[Orion] Question about noise floor

To: orion@contesting.com
Subject: [Orion] Question about noise floor
From: Kc9cdt@aol.com
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 20:35:07 EST
Continuing to get aquainted with my ORION.

Doing some basic A,, B  Testing today ORION againt my 746 PRO.

Noticed a big difference in the background noise of the ORION compared to the
746 during normal operation on 20M DX net today (14.247 NET). During periods
of good signal, no problem..... but during breaks in the conversation, very
noisey and continuous noise. This noise is there whether there is an antenna
hooked up or it is grounded ( or just no antenna connected at all. This is with
normal audio gain, not turned way up.

So , I did a test, ORION with no NR on = very loud  and annoying background
noise... THIS IS EVEN WITH THE ANTENNA SELECT COAX SWITCH ON NO ANTENNA, This
grounds the antenna connection to the ORION.  S meter not moving up,,,, so IT
IS NOT Atmospheric in nature as no signal to the antenna connector.

With the NR on,,, SILENCE... OK but with it off (Which we of course will do
sometimes) pretty loud noise

Any one have any input... is this normal on them all, or do I have a bad one.

OH, by the way, I have tried it with all kinds of different levels of NR, and
different AGC settings..... no change

Thanks,
Lee, KC9CDT