Re: [Orion] Orion PTT Question

To: orion@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Orion] Orion PTT Question
From: "BarryG" <n1eu@myway.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2003 16:07:29 -0500 (EST)
Appreciate the comments.  I wonder if I'm mis-stating my question.  The contest
logging programs actually call the function "PTT via comm port" but perhaps it
should really be viewed as "MOX via comm port".  I believe all the software
does is put the rig in transmit mode.  The Orion has commands to "key" (TK)and
"unkey" (TU) the transmitter.  Perhaps this will accomplish the "PTT via comm
port" function.

73,
Barry N1EU

--- On Sun 12/28, Grant Youngman < nq5t@comcast.net > wrote:From: Grant
Youngman [mailto: nq5t@comcast.net]To: orion@contesting.comDate: Sun, 28 Dec
2003 13:06:40 -0600Subject: Re: [Orion] Orion PTT Question> Does the Orion
support cw PTT control via software command on
the comm
> port?

Barry ...

It does not appear to. You can send characters, which will key the
transmitter up for each character -- as though you had simply keyed
it using the internal keyer. And you can key the transmitter. The
"key" command ... *TK .. does actually key the transmitter in
CW mode equivalent to a key closure. I did verify operation of *TK
and /.

But there does not appear to be a soft command to do the PTT
function as it has been discussed (if you can actually call it a
discussion) on the tentec list -- at least I haven't found it.

I did just post a note over there of a very simple means of doing the
PTT thing if you have a QSK amp with handshake, but it does
require a hardware open collector PTT interface that pulls low to
invoke.

Grant/NQ5T