[Orion] CW monitor

To: orion@contesting.com
Subject: [Orion] CW monitor
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 19:29:30 -0400
AC5AA wrote:
>I was straining to pull YA8G out of the noise on 20m CW
with the Main RX listening to him and the SubRX (and TX) on the pileup on
VFOB.

        Duane, I agree with your logic but I don't use Orion
that way for weak signals (they're all weak on 160!).  My
normal split routine this:

1.  Both Audio > Left and Audio > Right set to "Both".
2.  Adjust Main AF and Sub AF to your preference separately.
3.  When listening to the WEAK station, depress Sub AF which
mutes the SubRX while he's transmitting.
4.  When he stops depress again for SubRX audio to listen to
the pileup.

I would never listen to a really weak station with only
one ear.

        This doesn't mean you don't have a valid issue, it
just is not how I use Orion for split operation when trying
to receive a WEAK station.  If you think YA8G is weak on
20, you should be trying to hear him on 160 like I have
the past few weeks!

73, Bill W4ZV

73, Bill W4ZV