[Orion] Remote keypad/encoder

To: orion@contesting.com
Subject: [Orion] Remote keypad/encoder
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2005 13:09:12 -0400
N0XB wrote:

 >What are the merits of having it connected?  Do you recommend having it?

         Larry, the only time I use mine is in contests
so I can run on one frequency and S&P on another, both
using large knobs for RX (Pod = RIT A plus VFO B).  It
is unnecessary for my normal operation since I normally
operate in split mode, even when simplex.  I assign
TX to VFO B and Main RX to VFO A, and set A=B.  Then
I can tune around my TX frequency with the large VFO A
knob using the high-performance Main RX without changing
the TX on VFO B (in fact I often lock it to prevent any
changes in case I accidentally touch it).

         The other time it can be handy in SSB contests is to
assign the 2 short voice memories to Pod buttons.  I find
it easier to touch a flat button next to my keyboard rather
than touching a vertical button on the front panel.  Of
course if you use a soundcard-based DVK, this would be
unnecessary...but I've never felt the need for one, either
with Orion or the MP that preceded it.

         Bottom line...useful in contests but not necessary
for my normal operation.

                                                 73,  Bill  W4ZV