Re: [Orion] 1.372

To: k2xx@swva.net, barry.n1eu@gmail.com
Subject: Re: [Orion] 1.372
From: "Richard Detweiler" <rdetweil@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 10:10:53 -0600
For weak signals,  ( and most other applications ) I am not using the Noise
Reduction or Noise blanker at all,  Seems like the automation always does
something I don't want.

All is manual controls of AGC and RF Gain,

Notch filter is great, but rarely need it.

I have setting for each band and adjust for daily conditions.  ( every day
will be a little different )

For weak signals,  I'm using dual receive function with two antennas at
different polarity.  This is the best weapon to copy that kind of signal.
Sometimes I'll use dual reception even during a contest.  I can hear the
polarity shift, somtimes very rapidly, between the left and right ear,
really increases reliable copy.

The hardware Noise blanker works pretty well for repetative noise in the
city.  Have mixed results with the DSP noise blanker, Often no help but in
the city as it's difficult to sync it up.  Noise Reduction works best on a
signal that is reasonably strong already.  It can make the noise dissappear
all together making for a nice rag chew QSO.

My 2cents
Best wishes
Rich
K5SF