Re: [Orion] ver 1.372

To: nq5t@comcast.net
Subject: Re: [Orion] ver 1.372
From: Duane A Calvin <ac5aa@juno.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 15:50:59 -0500
I'll echo Grant's resplies.  You might want to call Paul at Ten-Tec
service.  I used a Heil HC-5 with my Orion and on 1.372 it sounded very,
very good.  The Studio 1 sounds even better, but requires completely
different TX Equalization settings or the low end will take over.
Regarding the freezes, I found if I didn't use the sweep function, I
rarely (if ever) had problems.  For a lot of my operating the sweep
wasn't all that useful.  Now that I've been using 2.056, I miss the solid
TX audio of the earlier version, and I have found the scope very useful
when chasing DX in big pileups.  Grant - thanks for the pointer to
1.373b5 - I intend to give it a try.  I like the more robust 2.x, but
there are still a few bugs in it that catch me (like when I'm fighting
multiple QRN sources and call in all the NB, NR and notch.  Things get
dicey in a hurry!  I sure enjoy the radio, tho.  Nowhere else can I play
with the AGC threshold and pull signals out that weren't audible before.

        73,  Duane

On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 13:17:02 -0700 "Grant Youngman" <nq5t@comcast.net>
writes:

> > I have the old veer 1.372 that I downloaded in Jan 2005.  I
> > can't use the sweep function without the radio freezing up
> > and need of a reset.  Sub rcvr has poor weak signal quality
> > and freezes the rig and needs reset
>
> Upgrade to 1.373b5.  http://members.cox.net/wc4r/Orionfirmware.html
>
> > Phone is of very poor quality with low audio using the Heil
> > mic or D-104 Audio quality is very nasal with highs accentuated.
>
> Have you adjusted the TX EQ?  Whatever else one may or may not like
> about
> it, the v1 Orion has VERY GOOD transmit audio.  It sounds like you
> have TX
> EQ out of whack.  Or maybe your D-104 element is on its last leg?
> Or you're
> using that HC-4 DX element?
>
> > The main rcvr is very quiet on 160 and 80 during contest on
> > cw strong signals distort with the RF gain turned down,
> > almost as AGC overload.
>
> Something doesn't sound right about that.  What AGC speed are you
> using?
>
> Grant/NQ5T

Duane Calvin, AC5AA
Austin, Texas