Re: [Orion] V2.059d Vs. v1.373b5 Noise Reduction Code + Myexperiences wi

To: Sinisa Hristov <shristov@ptt.yu>
Subject: Re: [Orion] V2.059d Vs. v1.373b5 Noise Reduction Code + Myexperiences with 1.373b5
From: Joe Giacobello <k2xx@swva.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 14:31:52 -0400
Sinisa, I admit to not having referred to the manual in quite some time,
but I just went to p. 46 in both the 2003 and 2005 manuals and could not
find the phrase you quoted.  I looked over that page and neighboring
pages several times.  Maybe my mind is acting like rejection filter, but
I couldn't find it.  Nevertheless, the search resulted in my reviewing
the section on weak signal reception and that was a worthwhile exercise.

As far as "correlated Schotte noise" is concerned, I apparently did not
correctly remember the spelling of Schott's name, and Schotte would seem
to be another variation of the same German root, and that's the spelling
that came to mind at the time.  (I also admit to having a penchant for
pronouncing - and now adding one where none exists - the final "e" in
German nouns after I overheard Claudia Kohde Kilch mumble "Scheisse"
during a match at the US Tennis Open and discovering that I had been
pronouncing it wrong all these years.)

As I understand DSP noise reduction, it focuses on that portion of a
given signal that is continuous and, more or less, invariant in
amplitude and occurrence, attenuates it and allows the more variable
data signal pass.  Such noise, if my memory serves, is referred to as
correlated.  Schott noise, again if my memory serves, is continuous
noise associated with the movement of electrons and is always present in
conductors except at absolute zero.  Aside from misspelling his name, I
also should have added "and the like."  I admit that my readings on DSP
are not fresh in my mind nor up to date, and if I got it wrong then I
accept the scarlet "mea culpa."

I replaced 2.059d with 1.373b5 last night and the change in performance
was both dramatic and negative.    There was an enormous increase in RF
gain, which was further increased when invoking NR.  I tried
manipulating the Threshold, Decay, Attenuator and NR setting without
much improvement.  To make 40M CW even marginally listenable, I had to
use 12 dB of attenuation.  The NR seemed to act properly with the
attennuation.  The Threshold setting seemed to have no effect and there
seemed to be a non-linearity in the RF gain control.

The higher RF gain was also evident when using N4PY's sweep routine,
which uses the sub receiver to sweep with the RF gain at maximum.  The
band noise base line was as high as I've ever seen it.  I switched to my
FT-1000MP for comparison and the improvement was enormous. What seemed
to be a irritatingly noisy band on the Orion was pleasantly serene on
the MP.  I have since returned to 2.059d.

What is especially disturbing is that I know others are using 1.373b5
with good results.  There have been other occasions when my observations
of the Orion's behavior have differed substantially from those of
others.  It makes me think that I have some kind of hardware problem in
my unit, but I'm really not sure at this point.

73, Joe
K2XX