RFI

[RFI] TVI Help

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] TVI Help
From: bannonr@ccgate.dl.nec.com (Reid Bannon) (Reid Bannon)
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 1998 09:38:47 -0600
     Hi all:

     I was operating during NA SSB Sprint Saturday night. 23 minutes into
     the contesting when I got that dreaded knock on the door by my next
     door neighbor complaining of TVI.

     He was very nice and I immediately pulled the plug.

     I installed a TH6 at 60' back in November and have operated alot since
     installing this Antenna.  I use a Alpha Delta Twin sloper for
     40-80-160.  Like I said have done a lot operating since installing
     this antenna.  Sweepstakes with no complaints.  RTTY Roundup with no
     complaints , and NAQP SSB with no complaints and alot of general
     DXing, I operate all modes, CW SSB and RTTY.  All low power.  But all
     it takes is one complaint.

     I was on 20m at the time of the complaint.  It was raining outside the
     ground was saturated.  Could this be a factor??  He said in the past
     on just a few occasions he could "see me" on his TV was it was very
     minor until tonight.

     I am running a Kenwood TS450SAT barefoot, 100 watts.  My station is
     grounded very well with a four ground rod system and all equipment
     grounded to this system and tower grounded to this system.

     No I am not using a low pass filter.  Guess that is my number 1
     mistake.  But had heard pro's and con's so wanted to post here ask you
     guys what steps should I take.  I want to resolve this quickly and do
     not want to take up alot of my neighbors time trying to fix it.

     Low Pass filter?? Alot on the market any one better than the other?
     What about the Hi-Q Common-Mode Filter advertised in FEB QST page 137.
     Anybody using one of these??

     What about a high pass filter on their set??  They use an outside TV
     Antenna.  I have cable in my house and never get into any of my TV's.

     I am not getting into their regular telephone, but am also getting
     into their cordless telephone.  He did not mention any problems with
     stereo equipment.

     Any help would be most appreciated.

     73, Reid - N5ZT

     bannonr@ccgate.dl.nec.com