RFI

[RFI] Mobile radio noise - Nissan Pathfinder

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Mobile radio noise - Nissan Pathfinder
From: Bill Putney <billp@dune.wwpc.com> (Bill Putney)
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2001 14:50:30 -0800 (PST)
After many years I'm getting back into HF mobiling.

I noticed that there is a very loud hash noise when I'm driving in my 1994
Nissan Pathfinder. I thought at first it was ignition noise and in fact I think
there is some bad spark wire kind of noise as well. But the noise that seems to
be doing most of the damage does not change with engine speed. Today as I was
getting out of the car with the HF rig still on I happened to turn the ignition
switch back on and the noise came back for a few second and then stopped. I
opened the hood and could here something that sounds like a pump running for a
few seconds after the ignition switch is thrown.

I'm wondering if anyone has identified this problem before and solved it. Could
it be a fuel injection pump or something that only runs for a few seconds if
the engine isn't running but runs continuously when the engine is running?

- Bill

#  Bill Putney - WB6RFW            | My repeater:443.400 Mhz-100 Hz #
#  WWPC                            | It's not open, it's not closed,#
#  5780 Balmoral Drive             | it's controlled. It's open for #
#  Oakland, CA 94619               | membership (which is free...). #
#  billp@wwpc.com - (510)531-2412  | Go figure...                   #

FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/FAQ/rfi