RFI

[RFI] RFI: Cordless 2 meter Interlopers

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] RFI: Cordless 2 meter Interlopers
From: scameron <scameron@austin.rr.com> (scameron)
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 08:14:30 -0500
Here is some information I found on the VU2ARC web site at
http://www.angelfire.com/in/BARC/inthemedia.htm
Long Range Cordless: HAMS Blamed

                  As you are all aware that the Long Range Cordless phones have
                  infested the 130-180 Mhz band, more so causing severe QRM to
the
                  144 - 146 Mhz Ham band. These LRCs have a range of more than
                  15-20 kms. We in Bangalore face the QRM round the clock from
                  hundreds of these units and had reported the matter to WPC and
                  Dept Of Telephones, along with newspaper articles mentioning
its
                  nuisance and illegality to create awareness among the general
                  public. Though some have refrained from using it, day by day
more
                  and more are purchasing and operating them causing QRM not
only
                  to hams but to the other authorised VHF band users like the
Police,
                  Airband, Fire, Hams, etc, etc. In our newspaper articles we
had
                  mentioned the extent of QRM it would cause to the various
licenced
                  users but we received no response from WPC or DOT.

                  It has also been reported from various other cities and towns
across
                  our country about the extent of QRM they cause. Now WPC has
                  woken up to the long range cordless QRM because it was
observed
                  and reported by the Airline pilots around Rajkot and Ahmedabad
                  areas that the phone conversations were interefering with
their
                  communication channels. It was first assumed to be Ham talk
but
                  they have now understood it be from these LRCs. (lets not
take the
                  blame for it, sitting quiet ) Wake up and pass on any kind of
info to
                  WPC.

                  DGCA has made strong report of such QRM to WPC and as WPC
                  does not have wide and extensive monitoring setup has now
                  requested Hams to provide any kind of information with regard
                  User names, phone nos, frequencies, etc OR even locations of
such
                  long range cordless antennas. One could easily spot such
antennas
                  because they look like a Trishul with ground radials. You may
fax or
                  email the information to any one of the following:

                  VU2SDN Sahar
                  Fax 011-2622521

                  VU2ZAP Raj
                  Fax 080-2258454 or email: ggrk@vsnl.com

                  VU2POP Pop
                  Fax 080-3388073 or email: pop@rescueteam.com

Also listed are news articles about 2m cordless in India:
http://www.angelfire.com/in/BARC/ie13012001.htm
http://www.angelfire.com/in/BARC/toi28112000.htm
http://www.angelfire.com/in/BARC/dh-27112000.htm

Also, VU2ARC is focusing on disaster communications this year and is seeking
donations of HF/VHF/UHF equipment/antennas/packet modems, etc.
I am coordinating, gathering and shipping. Donations are tax deductible.
Let me know if you have anything to donate, and please pass this message on.

Skip W5GAI

--
FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/FAQ/rfi