RFI

[RFI] Undercounter Touch Lights #4

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Undercounter Touch Lights #4
From: Jon Ogden <jono@enteract.com> (Jon Ogden)
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 21:39:57 -0500
OK, more on the touch lights.

These things are a pain.  I am very close to giving up and convincing my
wife to put switches in instead!

Last night I worked on the hood lighting as mentioned earlier.  I ended up
getting it working with no RF interference by adding an additional torroid
in the AC line very close to where it is plugged into the AC main.  Last
night it worked great.

Now tonight it's not working.  Getting into the lighting again on 20m.  I
have no idea why!  Perhaps the moisture in the air has something to do with
it?  I have no clue.  It is even getting into the lights when the touch line
is completely disconnected from the hood.  Previously, I didn't have a
problem then.

Anyone have any idea why things would work fine one day but not the next.
Nothing has changed in any of my setups otherwise.

I also took my oscilloscope and hooked it up to the touch line to measure
the frequency.  It turns out my scope isn't in the best of shape and is
finicky.  But it looks like the oscillation frequency of the dimmer unit is
around 400 Hz.  When I transmit on 20m, I end up getting a 284 KHz signal
modulating the 400 Hz signal.

I suppose if I could get rid of that it would clear things up, but I have no
idea how.

I am just so frustrated that it worked yesterday but not today.  I am so
close to just bagging it!

73,

Jon
NA9D