RFI

[RFI] Cable TV Interference

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Cable TV Interference
From: wb3fsr@home.com (Peter D. Vouvounas)
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2001 09:20:21 -0500
Morning ALL,

Can anyone share their thoughts on how best to determine if cable TV
radiation is within spec...

I am receiving a carrier on 145.250 MHz generally around S7-S9 signal
strength = approx. 16-17 microvolts at the antenna port.  Using a VHF
collinear on my tower.

I've also been monitoring 121.2625 the cable snifer test frequency with my
spectrum analyzer connected to a VHF yagi (horizontal polarization)- Noted
peaks in at least five directions.

After a bit of prodding I received a call from the Comcast Engineering
Supervisor stating that they have passed ALL of the fly over tests in the
past with flying colors.  He went on to say that they could very well be
within legal limits for cable radiation  - due to the sensitivity of the
radio  and apparent gain of my antenna system the interference signal my be
normal.

I have two interests one is the interference into my VHF equipment and
secondly any leaks allowing my high power HF rf into the cable system
leading to neighborhood TVI issues.

The supervisor did share some others names and numbers to work with me.  I
think it's best to be up to speed before I engage them one on one.

Specifically tests & measurements that my be performed by the HAM - I have
no way of knowing how good or poor the cable companies test equipment
designed, maintained or utilized.  In other words I want to have my ducks in
a row hihi..

Regards,

PeterV [REN] WB3FSR

p.s. I see a constant carrier at 110.630 MHz that appears to have different
peaks then the ones indicated above.  Any idea what this signal may be?
Peter D. Vouvounas      Ofc: 732-701-1130
McLeod USA                      Cell:732-674-4001
98 Meridian Dr.
Brick, NJ 08724
Mailto: wb3fsr@home.com
InterActive 2way: wb3fsr@imcingular.com