RFI

[RFI] Cable TV Interference

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Cable TV Interference
From: WD8ARZ" <wd8arz@ix.netcom.com (WD8ARZ)
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2001 13:08:07 -0500
>From a amateur radio point of view, if your hearing a cable carrier at
145.255, then you also have a risk of getting in to the cable by the same
leakage point. We are not supposed to be able to get into their cable at
all. Any leakage into the ham band is unacceptable by the Fcc. If a cable
company refuses to deal with a leakage like that, a call to the Fcc will get
their attention real quick. A leaky cable can also be a risk to the aircraft
band.

One of the concerns is the variability of the leakage signal strength. It is
rarely constant when poor grounds and corrosion is a factor. Rather than a
pat answer from a desk jockey, real readings in the field at ground level
with locations reported to them get better results. Try and keep your Qth
location out of the equation to reduce their distraction factor and point
the finger tendency. Don't forget that neighbors that tie into their cable
system with poor cables (or even twin line!) and poor practices are culprits
also.... not to mention the twin lead feeds inside of older tv sets past the
cable hook up to them.

I know that this didn't answer your specification question, I am interested
in that answer, but if I can hear it, as far as I am concerned, it is out of
spec.... hi hi

One of our County repeaters is on 145.25, and the various cable companies
have learned the hard way that when we call with a concern, if it is not
corrected with in a reasonable amount of time, the Fcc will follow up for us
no problem.

73 from Bill - WD8ARZ
wd8arz@ix.netcom.com