RFI

[RFI] No Complaints, No Problem!

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] No Complaints, No Problem!
From: johngeig@yahoo.com (John Geiger)
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 09:59:59 -0700 (PDT)
Like most everything else, this all has to do with
money.  COmpare the price of the average TV today with
TVs made 15 or 20 years ago.  They are cheaper today,
and you know that labor costs have not gone down.
Guess where the price decrease comes from?  We all
love lower prices as consumers, and the vast majority
of them don't have receiving gear to be interfered
with.  If they do get interference from their TV, etc.
 they blame it on the stupid ham who lives down the
street (and that is phrasing it mildly.).

I would suspect that our receivers have a little part
of the blame also.  I used to own an Icom 720A.  This
rig had 160-10 meters only, no DSP, no built in keyer,
no memories, and it routinely sold around $1200 when
it first came out.  Today a comparable rig costs
around $600 new, and you will probably get an internal
keyer, memories, and some sort of DSP if you are
luckily.  The cost difference had to come from
somewhere-maybe in receiver design?

73s John NE0P